Police Department of District Nankana Sahib has launched a new scheme to aid women in distress. Women Helpline Units have been established at different localities like the Model Police Station Sadar Nankana Sahib (Contact No. 056-2875921), Complaint Cell DPO Office (Contact No. 056-2877101,104,107) and Rescue-15 Office (Contact No. 056-7277172,272).
Lady Staff at Women Units
Lady police staff is deployed specifically at the women units to entertain the complaints and redress the grievances. These units are providing prompt assistance round the clock to women in distress. Beside these units, a sub-committee of Citizens’ Police Liaison Committee (CPLC) is also working to provide the assistance.
Ladies are particularly vulnerable to certain types of crime, including sexual assault. If you are a victim of any crime, report it to the police immediately. The victim should try to remember and identity the offender for progress of complaint e.g. complexion, physique, height, weight, age, type of clothing etc. If possible note down the information and do not dispose of any physical evidence e.g. hair, blood stains or skin samples.
Some of the examples of women concerns are as under:
- They are followed/stalked.
- They have car troubles while alone on the highway.
- The actions of a spouse or partner makes them feel threatened.
- They arrive home and find a door or window open.
- They are sexually assaulted.
The District Police firmly believes that crime could be eradicated to some extent by creating awareness among women. Women should consider these preventive measures to avoid stressful situations:
- Be aware of your surroundings - know who's around you and what's going on. Walk with confidence and purpose. Be wary of isolated spots basements, laundry rooms, and parking lots.
- Whether at a hotel/restaurant or house party, make arrangements with trusted friends to look out for each other.
- Make sure your home is not an easy target for criminals and take proper arrangements to make your home safer.
- If you come home and see a door or a window broken, call the police immediately. Never enter the dwelling.
- If you have car trouble on road/highway/motorway call at 15 for Rescue Office, 130 for Motorway Police and 1122 for Rescue Emergency. This will bring you official assistance.
- If a stranger stops to assist you, use caution. If concerned, get back in the car. Speak through a slightly lowered window and ask that person to get assistance for you.
- If you think you're being followed, change directions and look for open stores, restaurants, public place or a lighted home, call the police as soon as possible.
- Above all, if your instincts tell you that someone’s actions are threatening or an environment is unsafe, leave immediately.
- In order to avoid sexual harassment be aware of the fact that:
- Assault can occur anytime and anyplace, and can happen to any female.
- Those who commit an assault can be anyone - strangers, neighbors, spouses, partners, co-workers, classmates, family members and even friends.
- The majority of assaults occur in an environment familiar to the victim e.g. home, office, school, dormitory, etc.